The Teen Board of Directors was established in 2018 with the purpose of providing teen volunteers the opportunity to have a voice within the kitchen program. Members of the Teen Board meets monthly to plan fundraisers and discuss ways to improve the volunteering experience of all individuals. The Teen Board also sends representatives to the Food for Health board meetings to give feedback from a kitchen volunteer perspective. In the past few years they have brought music into the kitchen and replaced old equipment. In 2019, they led an apparel fundraiser that brought in nearly a thousand dollars with all proceeds going back into the program.
Why have a Teen Board of Directors?
The Fox Valley Food for Health Teen Board provides a vehicle for our Teen Chefs to influence the strategic direction of the organization, establish a direct line of communication to the Executive Director & Board of Directors as well as provide a leadership development opportunity. By engaging our Teen Chefs in leadership positions of the organization, we allow new energy and ideas to enhance our mission-focused programs, while developing future leaders in our community.
Food for Health High School Showdown
The Food for Health High School Showdown is a Teen Board of Directors led event that will raise funds for our organization and provide high school students with a safe, fun, and interactive event in this trying year. The event will start in March and run through May 1st. It will be a friendly fundraising competition between local high schools to race against each other for a trophy and additional prizes. Members of each school will be encouraged to raise funds by finding family, friends and community members to sponsor their running, walking, etc.
School will be competing for the Food for Health Cup, which will be displayed proudly at the winning school until the next annual competition. There will also be individual awards for students who are top contributors for their school, including treats made in our very own kitchen and gift cards from our sponsors. In addition, at the request of the Teen Board and to show his commitment to our efforts (as well as to have his skin in the game, no pun intended), The Executive Director, Zac Cesario, will get a tattoo of the winning school’s logo provided they raise a minimum of $5,000.
Our 2023-2024 Teen Board of Directors
Priyansha, the President of the Teen Board of Directors, is a Senior at St. Charles North High School. She has been a member of Fox Valley Food For Health since the beginning of her Freshman year of high school and has truly enjoyed working in the kitchen and meeting so many incredible people! The mentors and volunteers both have become some of Priyansha’s dear friends and she can’t imagine her Tuesdays without them. Priyansha loves Food For Health because of the difference this organization makes and the joy that she feels when making food to help others. Outside of FVFFH, she is the 2nd Vice President of her school’s Student Council, Co-President of the South Asian Student Association, and an active member of the St. Charles Government’s Youth Commission Board. After high school, Priyansha plans on becoming a Computer Engineer at a Big Ten University.
Julianna is a junior at St. Charles East High School. She has been a volunteer at Fox Valley Food for Health since her freshman year. Julianna loves volunteering at Fox Valley Food for Health because she gets to help others by making nutritious meals for those struggling with health issues. Besides being in the kitchen, Julianna is a member of Peer Leadership, Illinois Special Olympics parters, STCE girls soccer and National Honor Society. She played trumpet in the Wind Symphony Band and currently serves as Secretary of Key Club. Outside of school and FVFFH, Julianna enjoys volunteering at the Illinois Food Bank and 4paws4U4ever animal shelter where she rescued her dog Lola.
Michelle is a senior at St. Charles North Highschool and she has been a member of Fox Valley Food for Health since sophomore year. Michelle loves volunteering at Fox Valley because she has been able to meet so many wonderful people and it incorporates her love of cooking. Outside of Fox Valley, Michelle a member of Science NHS and a violinist at the Elgin Youth Symphony Orchestra. After high school, Michelle plans to go to a four-year college and then optometry school to become an optometrist.
Shannon is a junior at St. Charles North High School and has volunteered for Fox Valley Food For Health since her sophomore year. Shannon loves volunteering here because she loves making a positive impact on her community and serving those in need. Outside of FVFFH, Shannon also volunteers at Delnor hospital, serves in National Honor Society, is vice president of Mu Alpha Theta, captain of the girls varsity tennis team, and is part of math team, eco club, and enjoys playing golf. After high school, Shannon plans on going pre-med to become a doctor!
Apply for our 2021 - 2022 Teen Board of Directors
Applications are open! We have modified our application to better prepare the incoming Teen Board of Directors. Applications will now be accepted until March 30th and the selection process will being in April. Once selected, the incoming Teen Board will shadow the outgoing Teen Board for 2 months, and actively meet over the summer months.
Who are we looking for?
- FVFFH Teen Board Members should:
- Have participated in our Teen Chef program for at least 12 weeks.
- Be actively working in the kitchen for majority of their term.
- Be passionate and dedicated to our mission and vision.
- Believes that proper nutrition supports overall wellness in our community and healing to those with a health crisis.
- Be comfortable communicating on behalf of the other Teen Chefs to the ED & Board of Directors.
What does a Teen Board Member do?
- Commit to at least 1 term (1 year starting in April 2021 – June 2022)
- Act as a liaison between the teens in FVFFH programs and the ED and Board of Directors.
- Work alongside the other Teen Board members to enhance and improve FVFFH operations and support a welcoming and fun atmosphere.
- Commit to attending 1 Teen Board Meeting each month (or every other month) and attend 1-2 board meetings every term.
- Plan and lead a Teen Board Fundraising event each year.
- Assist during at least 1 community outreach or fundraising event each term
- Commit at least 20 volunteer hours per year, additional to regular kitchen/garden volunteering shifts.
Teen Board Expectations
- Be a teen leader and role model within FVFFH programs
- Be accepting and welcoming of all new teen and adult volunteers
- Respect all volunteers, staff and board members
- Be open to hearing feedback from other teens in the programs and communicate them accordingly
- Have an open mind to other teen volunteer & Teen Board Members ideas
- Be comfortable sharing your opinion
- Be timely and attentive at Teen Board Meetings
- If you cannot attend a meeting, you must contact the Teen Board Staff Liaison 24 hours in advance
- Be responsive and follow communication guidelines including:
- Responding to emails (or other decided upon communication format) within 48 hours of receiving the message
- Communicate directly with the Teen Board Staff Liaison
- Communicate respectfully and honestly
- Be good stewards of FVFFH in the community and in your life including at school, on social media and in your day to day activities